How to extracting a subset of files from one of two distfiles (was: Resolving Python conflicts)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Aug 22 00:04:23 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2013, at 07:41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> but I don't know how to apply post_args to one of the two files only.
>
> You can't. You'll have to exclude this file from the regular extraction code (by listing the other files in extract.only), then write a post-extract block to extract what you want from this other file.

OK.

> As far as I can tell the uncompressed size of wxPython-src-2.8.12.1.tar.bz2 is 123MB.

(Sorry, then it was probably 300 MB after the contents were already built.)

> The compressed size is 30MB. Still, that's a lot to download, if all you really want is a couple files. Is there no other smaller file you could download with just those files?

I could fetch cca. 160 files from their SVN, but I don't think this
would be practical.

I can extract those files, compress them (the compressed file would
only be 560K) and upload them somewhere, so that they would end up on
MacPorts mirrors. Or ask an admin to upload it if I recall a recent
discussion correctly? This would actually greatly simplify the process
(no need to specify which nontrivial subset of files to extract).

NB: Users who actually depend on wxPython would still need to fetch
those 30 MB, but that doesn't cover all wxWidgets users. An
alternative is to install those files by py-wxpython-2.8 which needs
to fetch wxPython anyway, so no extra downloads would be needed, but I
would probably need to rewrite fetch, checksum and extract phase from
scratch? I have no clue how to do that.

Mojca