Different buildbot speeds

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 23 23:20:11 PDT 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 13:59, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> I would assume many dependencies needed to be built this time, and compiler disparities happened shined through.

llvm-gcc-4.2 does not take 5 times as long to compile as gcc-4.2. As I said, there didn't used to be a difference. The emails from all three buildbots used to be delivered within seconds of one another.

> You've looked through the logs, right? :-)

Each buildbot produced roughly 1.6 million lines of log, so the same amount of building on each, just drastic differences in how long each buildbot took.

For example, on the snowleopard buildbot, building the php55 subport:

DEBUG: build phase started at Thu Aug 22 21:30:32 PDT 2013

DEBUG: destroot phase started at Thu Aug 22 21:31:29 PDT 2013

The build phase took about a minute, with 8 make jobs. That about matches my MacBook Pro.

But on the mtln buildbot:

DEBUG: build phase started at Thu Aug 22 21:33:34 PDT 2013

DEBUG: destroot phase started at Thu Aug 22 21:56:58 PDT 2013

That took over 23 minutes. Way too log.

Are there some runaway processes on the lion and mtln buildbots using up the CPU?