my rsync is broken, anyone got a leopard one?

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Aug 24 10:00:41 PDT 2013

On Aug 24, 2013, at 7:27, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-8-25 00:17 , jlm at justinfront.net wrote:
>> Hi my rsync seems to be broken I can't selfupdate macports does anyone
>> have a copy of rsync that would work for leopard?
>>
>> This is the error I get.
>>
>> port -v selfupdate
>> --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
>> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _locale_charset
>>  Referenced from: /usr/bin/rsync
>>  Expected in: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>>
>> dyld: Symbol not found: _locale_charset
>>  Referenced from: /usr/bin/rsync
>>  Expected in: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>>
>> I tried getting a git of rsync and building rsync myself but it would
>> not make.
>
> Are you sure it's not your libiconv that's broken? Installing the 10.5.8
> combo updater should restore rsync anyway.

Yeah, you should never clobber your OS files.  It looks as though your libiconv was clobbered.  10.5.0 and 10.5.8 both had libiconv-24 (see http://opensource.apple.com), so it's likely that the combo update won't restore your libiconv, but give it a shot anyways.  If it doesn't work, your best bet is to reinstall your OS because you may have clobbered other files as well.

If you're sure it's just libiconv.dylib that you clobbered, you can get it off of the install media (just copy over the one file).

--Jeremy