Fortran recipe

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Aug 25 10:44:45 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> Seeing as how many developers don't understand the problems surrounding mixing multiple versions of the C++ runtime in a single process, I doubt that users understand those problems.  I think the root port needs to be simplified significantly.
>
> Does root use any C++ APIs exposed by the host or other ports?  Does root expose any C++ APIs?

I don't understand much about those problems either.

Root probably doesn't just expose APIs, but actually provides C++
interpreter and compiler of some sort, CINT and CLING. (I'm sorry that
I cannot explain it better, but I don't really understand how it all
works. Maybe http://root.cern.ch/drupal/category/package-context/cling
answers any of your questions?)

Root has a few more problems. Last time when I tried compiling Root 6,
it failed to work with Fortran
(https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-4874), I wasn't able to
disable Fortran at all (it was possible to disable it with
./configure, but not with CMake). On top of that problem came the
inability to prevent shipping "-arch" flags to Fortran compilers:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37732 (this problem affects at least
Root if it ever gets ported to CMake-based installation and plplot).

Mojca