Fortran recipe

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 25 10:56:54 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 25 Aug 2013, at 6:44pm, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>> Seeing as how many developers don't understand the problems surrounding mixing multiple versions of the C++ runtime in a single process, I doubt that users understand those problems.  I think the root port needs to be simplified significantly.
>>
>> Does root use any C++ APIs exposed by the host or other ports?  Does root expose any C++ APIs?
>
> I don't understand much about those problems either.
>
> Root probably doesn't just expose APIs, but actually provides C++
> interpreter and compiler of some sort, CINT and CLING. (I'm sorry that
> I cannot explain it better, but I don't really understand how it all
> works. Maybe http://root.cern.ch/drupal/category/package-context/cling
> answers any of your questions?)

I suspect to avoid the issues with the C++ runtime we need to remove the gcc variants, as Jeremy suggests.
This might cause some users problems, who have been using these compilers seemingly without tripping over the c++ runtime issues, but as this is more by luck than anything else, I guess we just need to do it. At least ROOT now compiles with the system compilers with all supported platforms (by which I mean the buildbots, 10.6 to 10.8). This hasn't always been the case and the gcc variants where partly there as a solution to that.

Its not clear to me if we also need to remove the variants that build with Macports clang. As I understand things these aren't affected by the c++ runtime issues ? These variants are still useful, for instance if the users wants to use the cocoa graphical backend, as these only works when built with clang, so on systems that don't use this as a default compiler, its convenient to have the clang variants as a fall back.

ROOT has very very little fortran in it, so personally I would be happy to just disable it completely. If people think it is still needed, then I can look to using Jeremy's recipe.

> Root has a few more problems. Last time when I tried compiling Root 6,
> it failed to work with Fortran
> (https://sft.its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ROOT-4874), I wasn't able to
> disable Fortran at all (it was possible to disable it with
> ./configure, but not with CMake). On top of that problem came the
> inability to prevent shipping "-arch" flags to Fortran compilers:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37732 (this problem affects at least
> Root if it ever gets ported to CMake-based installation and plplot).

Lets not confuse things. ROOT6 and and cake are different issues ;)