Switching libstdc++ from libsupc++ to libc++abi (Was: [109683] trunk/dports/multimedia/mkvtoolnix/Portfile)

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Aug 25 18:10:40 PDT 2013

On Aug 25, 2013, at 16:42, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> The issue for is that mkvtoolnix is using libstdc++.dylib provided by libgcc and other ports that it links against (boost and icu) are using libstdc++ provided by OS X. Objects cannot be passed between the two runtimes.  I believe that fixing MacPorts' libstdc++.dylib to be based on the host's libc++abi.dylib rather than its own libsupc++.dylib may mitigate this problem, but nobody has taken up this task since I mentioned it last year, and I'm restricted by the license.
>
> I'd be willing to look into this, if you think it's worthwhile.

It might be worthwhile, but I think the easier battle is focusing on C++ ports and getting them to use the host runtime instead.

If you do want to do it, note that Apple's libstdc++ library already links against libc++abi, so it will likely be a lot of merging Apple's changes (based on gcc-4.2.1) into upstream.

--Jeremy