Friendly talk

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 28 17:30:26 PDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 19:24, David Strubbe wrote:

> I looked at the Homebrew site a bit, wondering if they had any discussion about why they think MacPorts would drive one to drink, or how Homebrew would be better, and didn't see anything. What the advantages and disadvantages does Homebrew have with respect to MacPorts?

I don't know, you'd have to ask them! I think MacPorts has maturity on its side, having already worked through several problems and come to some conclusions that the Homebrew people may still be debating. They have a different contribution workflow than we do. They have a different collection of software available than we do. I assume one of the reasons they may believe they're superior is that when software that's needed as a dependency is available in OS X, my limited understanding is that they use it, rather than install another copy. That's one of the problems we've already worked through and come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea; see our FAQ.