Friendly talk

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Aug 28 17:32:39 PDT 2013

On Aug 28, 2013, at 8:24 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at mit.edu> wrote:

> I looked at the Homebrew site a bit, wondering if they had any discussion about why they think MacPorts would drive one to drink, or how Homebrew would be better, and didn't see anything. What the advantages and disadvantages does Homebrew have with respect to MacPorts?

it's unlikely that there are a lot of people with experience with both systems.

I think one of the original ideas was that Homebrew would rely more on system components (and not install it's own perl/python/ruby/whatever) - but we had someone post that Homebrew is moving away from that (for the same reasons that MacPorts made that decision way back before it was called MacPorts).

--
Daniel J. Luke