C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 3 15:43:47 PST 2013

On Dec 3, 2013, at 16:23, Christopher Jones wrote:

> Part of the problem, for me, is MacPorts insists on all OSX versions using the same set of port versions. There is no way, I think, of having different versions on different OSX releases. Note this is quite different to say the Linux world, where for instance the various Ubuntu/Fedora/Whatever distributions allow packages to update at different rates in each of their releases. If we had this possibility in MacPorts (putting assign the headache it would give maintainers) it would allow us deal with situations like this.

Portfiles are Tcl scripts. The can do most anything. Whether they should is another matter.

Usually when different versions are available and needed for whatever reason (including support for specific OS versions), we make separate ports. See vineserver which is for 10.6 and newer and vineserver3 which is for 10.6 and older, or graphviz-gui which is for 10.5 and newer and graphviz-oldgui which works on any OS X version.

Some ports do vary their version based on the OS X version. See cctools and ld64.