C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 16:24:37 PST 2013

Hi,

On 3 Dec 2013, at 11:43pm, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2013, at 16:23, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> Part of the problem, for me, is MacPorts insists on all OSX versions using the same set of port versions. There is no way, I think, of having different versions on different OSX releases. Note this is quite different to say the Linux world, where for instance the various Ubuntu/Fedora/Whatever distributions allow packages to update at different rates in each of their releases. If we had this possibility in MacPorts (putting assign the headache it would give maintainers) it would allow us deal with situations like this.
>
> Portfiles are Tcl scripts. The can do most anything. Whether they should is another matter.

Didn’t realise it was technically possible. useful to know, thanks.

> Usually when different versions are available and needed for whatever reason (including support for specific OS versions), we make separate ports. See vineserver which is for 10.6 and newer and vineserver3 which is for 10.6 and older, or graphviz-gui which is for 10.5 and newer and graphviz-oldgui which works on any OS X version.

The problem then of course is you force ports that depend on these different versions, to know about these different versions, and to have some way of deciding which to pick.

> Some ports do vary their version based on the OS X version. See cctools and ld64.

This is more what I was thinking for this case. Have the port use a newer c++11 enabled version on OSX versions that support it, and a older version where they don’t.

Chris