C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 02:00:48 PST 2013

Hi,

> - The only C++ runtime that Apple provides on all systems since 10.5(?)
>    is the one delivered with gcc 4.2.1. I really doubt that Apple
>    will change that to a recent libc++

You are wrong on this point. Apple have been abandoning gcc in favour of
clang/LLVM over the last few OSX releases, and finished this in 10.9
which does *not* have a 'gcc' compiler at all. OSX also does have
libc++. In fact, its the only C++ runtime in 10.9.

On OSX Macports explicitly links using the libc++ runtime, where as on
older releases it

This is exactly why c++11 code is fine on OSX10.9, as the default
compiler libc++ used there supports it, but not on older OSC releases.
This is why the c++ issue and OSX versions are mixed up here.

Chris