C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 04:11:52 PST 2013

Hi,

On 04/12/13 12:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2013, at 05:29, Clemens Lang wrote:
>
>> Obviously C++11 support is a problem we're going to face sooner or
>> later. It is a problem now and I don't think just avoiding C++11 on
>> older systems is going to cut it.
>
> I’m not entirely opposed to that actually. There are already many ports that don’t work on older systems, for various reasons. Requiring C++11 may well be another valid reason for a port requiring a newer OS.
>
> Mavericks is a free update, supports the same hardware as Mountain Lion, and is a better OS than Mountain Lion. We should continue fixing our ports to work on Mavericks and encourage users to upgrade.

I concur with that.

For me 10.9 is just better than both 10.8 and 10.7, and for those
systems upgrading is I think a bit of a no brainer. Yes, there might be
a few niggles that some users dislike, but if they are serious about
wanting c++11 features, they should consider it a serious option. last
time I checked 10.9 adoption had exceeded both 10.8 and 10.7.

10.6 is perhaps slightly different in that it is the last release to
support PowerPC applications. Maybe some users have a need to stick with
this because of that (but then, any application that *still* hasn't
provided an intel version now, clearly is dead in the water. Personally,
I would be looking heavily for alternatives at this stage).

10.5 is the last PowerPC OS. But then, I think this is old enough that
support can be just 'take what you can get'.

Chris