C++11 on Mountain Lion and lower?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 4 04:22:49 PST 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 06:11, Chris Jones wrote:

> 10.6 is perhaps slightly different in that it is the last release to support PowerPC applications. Maybe some users have a need to stick with this because of that (but then, any application that *still* hasn't provided an intel version now, clearly is dead in the water. Personally, I would be looking heavily for alternatives at this stage).

There are various solutions for having the best of both worlds, from dual-booting to virtualization to just using two machines, one with Snow Leopard, one with Mavericks.

> 10.5 is the last PowerPC OS. But then, I think this is old enough that support can be just 'take what you can get’.

It’s been very much that for awhile already. I keep a PowerPC test machine around but the issues that show up have become stranger and beyond my abilities. For example many ports blacklist the old gcc compilers on Leopard, falling back to clang instead, but clang has some problems building on Leopard, and other problems with on PowerPC.