[102536] trunk/dports/python/py-hgsubversion/Portfile

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 15:13:06 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2013, at 17:03, Sean Farley wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> I've looked at the ports in the python folder. The only one that overrides the categories erroneously is py25-mpdclient2. Maintainer Cc'd.
>>
>> Oh? How did you check? Searching for categories of py-* ports that use
>> the python-1.0 group and have 'python' in the categories without using
>> append (which seems erroneous to me) gives me 125:
>>
>> $ grep -l 'categories .*python' -r dports/python/py-* | xargs -I{}
>> grep -l 'python 1.0' {} | wc -l
>> 125
>
> I used:
>
> $ grep -E 'categories[[:space:]]' dports/python/*/Portfile | grep -v 'categories[[:space:]].*python'
> dports/python/py-svipc/Portfile:    categories          science yorick
> dports/python/py25-mpdclient2/Portfile:categories      audio
>

>> For example, py-yaml or py-bottle both overwrite categories with 'python devel'.
>
> Yes but that's not a problem. Since the python portgroup sets categories to python, setting categories to python devel is exactly equivalent to appending devel to the categories.

… then I'm confused as to the initial compliant given by Frank, "Why
did you change this? The python 1.0 portgroup sets the category as
python. The way it was is how we do it on all the other python ports."
I guess it's because I didn't realize that python-1.0.tcl already sets
the python category … but then again, having 125 ports set a bad
example means there's a high probability that a new port author will
use them as a template.