[103366] trunk/dports/lang/chicken

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 23 22:43:24 PST 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 00:01, Lawrence Velázquez <larryv at macports.org> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2013, at 6:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
>>> +# Upstream explicitly requires GNU make.
>>> +build.type	gnu
>>
>> build.type gnu is the default; see the Guide. You don't need to list it.
>
> It's the default on darwin, but it doesn't look like that's true on all platforms. The default is whatever "make" is.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/branches/release_2_1/base/src/port1.0/portbuild.tcl#L90
>
> I guess it's a moot point, since the port currently only supports darwin. The README states that the makefile will *only* work with GNU make, so I just want to make sure.

Ugh. I've been telling people for awhile that "build.type gnu" is unnecessary because the guide states that's the default. Either the guide should be fixed to match the code and those changes I advocated should be reverted in those ports, or the code should be fixed to match the guide.

>>> +# Restrict universal variant to Tiger and Leopard because upstream only
>>> +# supports i386/ppc universal binaries.
>>> +if {${os.platform} == "darwin" && ${os.major} < 10} {
>>> +    variant universal {}
>>> }
>>
>> You're basing this on the default values of universal_archs in macports.conf on those OS versions; the user could have changed them. Instead I think you should set configure.universal_archs to i386 ppc; I've done that in some other ports. Or maybe set supported_archs i386 ppc if the universal variant is set.
>>
>> Why do they support x86_64 non-universal but not universal? Can the muniversal variant help alleviate whatever the universal issue is?
>
> I'm not sure why they don't support i386 + x86_64; the makefiles are just not set up for it, and the README says that they only "support" ppc + i386. Maybe it's a legacy thing? I patched the OS X makefile to support any combination of ppc, i386, and x86_64 (r103386), and it seems to work just fine.

I was going to ask what the problem was, but I see you've already committed a change to allow any universal variant.