Strange failure on SL and ML buildslaves

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 02:19:57 PST 2013

On 2013-1-3 19:10 , Adam Mercer wrote:
> Hi
>
> After I recent commit:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/changeset/101018>
>
> I recieved emails from buildbot regarding a failure on SL and ML:
>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-mtln-x86_64/builds/749>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/13434>
>
> Looking through the logs this seems to be related to the following
> error when building py27-matplotlib:
>
> _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to
> the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
>
> To me this seems to be a problem with the buildslaves? The Lion
> buildslave built the port without issue:
>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-lion-x86_64/builds/6922>
>
> And I can build py27-matplotlib locally, so I am tending to believe
> that this isn't a problem with the port itself? Has anyone got any
> insight into why SL and ML failed but Lion succeeded?

This is the kind of thing you see when the build process tries to create
a GUI window and you don't have a GUI session. So on any headless
server, or when you're ssh'd in. We've seen this happen with Java ports
that use AWT (where the solution is to use -Djava.awt.headless=true).

The only real solution, AFAIK, is "don't do that", or handle the failure
gracefully.

No idea why Lion alone would be unaffected.

- Josh