Strange failure on SL and ML buildslaves

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 01:14:07 PST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 02:10, Adam Mercer <ramercer at gmail.com> wrote:

> After I recent commit:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/changeset/101018>
>
> I recieved emails from buildbot regarding a failure on SL and ML:
>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-mtln-x86_64/builds/749>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-snowleopard-x86_64/builds/13434>
>
> Looking through the logs this seems to be related to the following
> error when building py27-matplotlib:
>
> _RegisterApplication(), FAILED TO establish the default connection to
> the WindowServer, _CGSDefaultConnection() is NULL.
>
> To me this seems to be a problem with the buildslaves? The Lion
> buildslave built the port without issue:
>
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/buildports-lion-x86_64/builds/6922>
>
> And I can build py27-matplotlib locally, so I am tending to believe
> that this isn't a problem with the port itself? Has anyone got any
> insight into why SL and ML failed but Lion succeeded?

Bill, are the buildslaves usually logged in to some OS X account, or just sitting at the login screen? Because this sounds to me like the kind of error you might get if you weren't logged in to an OS X account. In fact, I'm able to reproduce that if I log out and build by ssh'ing in from another machine.