automake-1.13 (and 1.14 planning)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 14:17:35 PST 2013

On 2013-01-03 19:20, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
> There seem to be more ports than I realized failing due to automake-1.13.  If you encounter build failure in a port due to automake-1.13, give this post-patch block a try:
>
> post-patch {
>         reinplace {s:AM_CONFIG_HEADER(\(.*\)):AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([\1]):} ${worksrcpath}/configure.ac
>         reinplace {/AM_PROG_CC_STDC/d} ${worksrcpath}/configure.ac
> }

Thank you for the warning and the short explanation on what needs to be
changed.

What is the compatibility of this approach? Does it work with older
versions of automake?

Would it be recommended yet to ask upstream to include these changes?

> Note that the backwards incompatibilities in 1.14 will be less trivial to fix, so if you see any warnings about INCLUDES, renaming configure.in to configure.ac, or MKDIR_P, you should probably fix those now, so you don't get bit by 1.14.

Should we create a automake-devel port now to test changes early or is
it enough to just fix the warnings reported by automake @1.13 to be safe?

We could also keep an automake-1.13 port around (as we did earlier for
both automake and autoconf).

Rainer