automake-1.13 (and 1.14 planning)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 11:12:46 PST 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:20, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia <jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:

> There seem to be more ports than I realized failing due to automake-1.13.  If you encounter build failure in a port due to automake-1.13, give this post-patch block a try:
>
> post-patch {
>        reinplace {s:AM_CONFIG_HEADER(\(.*\)):AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([\1]):} ${worksrcpath}/configure.ac
>        reinplace {/AM_PROG_CC_STDC/d} ${worksrcpath}/configure.ac
> }

Using a patchfile would be preferable to using a reinplace, for the usual reasons: MacPorts will notify you when a patch fails to apply, and the context available in a patchfile helps the next port maintainer figure out whether and how a patch needs to be updated or if it can be removed.

If you use a reinplace, it's likely you'll forget to remove it when updating the port to a newer version that no longer requires that reinplace, unless you've built MacPorts with the patch in #15514.