Where to include port version in 'port pkg' output?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 3 15:49:50 PST 2013

On 01/03/2013 12:23 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 02:49 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2013-1-3 09:23 , Blair Zajac wrote:
>>> On my testing on 10.7, the package that is generated from 'port pkg'
>>> doesn't contain any version info, so it looks like Mac OS X treats it as
>>> a 1.0 package.
>>>
>>> Given I don't know anything about Mac OS X packaging and need this for
>>> an internal project, where is the appropriate place to put a version
>>> number?
>>
>> I implemented the flat pkg support, but I don't know exactly where the
>> version should go or how it should be formatted, sorry. The available
>> documentation isn't very good.
>>
>> These are the best references I found:
>>
>> <http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/Ivanhoe/FLAT.html>
>> <https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Reference/DistributionDefinitionRef/Chapters/Distribution_XML_Ref.html>
>>

> According to packagemaker, passing --version should be sufficient.
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/packagemaker.1.html
>

> I'm trying this now.
>
> Also, should we put the epoch number into the generated pkg and mpkg
> filenames?  I'm going to add it to the version number:
>
> ${epoch}.${portversion}.${portrevision}

I decided to drop the epoch number since Apple docs suggest there's only
three digits or precision in a version number and it's not used anywhere
else in package, for example, in the package filenames.  The work was
done for OS X >= 10.6:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/101068
https://trac.macports.org/changeset/101069
https://trac.macports.org/changeset/101070