Where to include port version in 'port pkg' output?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Jan 3 16:09:14 PST 2013

On 2013-01-04 00:49, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> Also, should we put the epoch number into the generated pkg and mpkg
>> filenames?  I'm going to add it to the version number:
>>
>> ${epoch}.${portversion}.${portrevision}
>
> I decided to drop the epoch number since Apple docs suggest there's only
> three digits or precision in a version number and it's not used anywhere
> else in package, for example, in the package filenames.  The work was
> done for OS X >= 10.6:

IIRC the epoch was not added to the file name of archives as the epoch
will only increase when a change to the version number demands it,
leading to a new unique combination of ${name}-${version}_${revision}.

Out of curiosity, what happens when a port version does not follow the
canonical format of major.minor.revision?

Rainer