Where to include port version in 'port pkg' output?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 3 16:16:38 PST 2013

On 01/03/2013 04:09 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:> On 2013-01-04 00:49, Blair
Zajac wrote:
 >>> Also, should we put the epoch number into the generated pkg and mpkg
 >>> filenames?  I'm going to add it to the version number:
 >>>
 >>> ${epoch}.${portversion}.${portrevision}
 >>
 >> I decided to drop the epoch number since Apple docs suggest there's only
 >> three digits or precision in a version number and it's not used anywhere
 >> else in package, for example, in the package filenames.  The work was
 >> done for OS X >= 10.6:
 >
 > IIRC the epoch was not added to the file name of archives as the epoch
 > will only increase when a change to the version number demands it,
 > leading to a new unique combination of ${name}-${version}_${revision}.

If one is putting MacPorts packages into a distribution system, then I
think epoch would still be useful, but I'm hoping I don't need it in the
future.

 > Out of curiosity, what happens when a port version does not follow the
 > canonical format of major.minor.revision?

I don't know, I haven't seen any discussions regarding this.  This is my
first work with native Apple packaging and putting them into munki, so
I'm fixing problems as I run into them :)

Blair