mass rebuild for tcl/tk 8.6

Gustaf Neumann neumann at wu.ac.at
Tue Jan 15 12:15:10 PST 2013

Dear all,

For me, the following ports fail currently due to using Tcl8.6 in the
port "tcl".

expect
libnewt
zebra
xotcl

in addition some of my own ports (not yet submitted). For xotcl, the
proper tcl8.6 support is in nsf (supporting the NRE functionality; nsf
is still in beta; see http://next-scripting.org/), so i am not sure,
whether an xotcl1.* port to tcl8.6 is really the way to go.

Woudn't it ease the situation to proceed as follows:
- keep tcl as tcl8.6
- add a new port tcl85 and let currently broken ports depend on tcl85
instead on tcl

I have provided some time a ago a port tcl84 which allows to build the ports
otcl, tclcl, blt (see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34826). See as well
port tclx: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33203

Therfore
- add port tcl84 for packages depending on tcl84

It is quite likely that there will be more releases of tcl8.5 in the
future (but not for tcl8.4).

-gustaf neumann