mass rebuild for tcl/tk 8.6

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jan 15 13:36:14 PST 2013

In article <50F5B8CE.6000502 at wu.ac.at>,
 Gustaf Neumann <neumann at wu.ac.at> wrote:
> For me, the following ports fail currently due to using Tcl8.6 in the
> port "tcl".
>
> expect
> libnewt
> zebra
> xotcl

Another data point from an observer: as I've mentioned before, AFAIK
upstream Python has had little exposure to Tk 8.6 particularly on OS X;
I'm not sure we have an official position on 8.6 support mainly because
no one is looking into it yet.  There is at least one recent bug
(http://bugs.python.org/issue16809) documenting a problem when Python is
linked with Tk 8.6; it's reproducible with the current MacPorts python32
and python33 ports.  I'm afraid that this is just the tip of the
iceberg.  If you follow the Tcl and Tk mailing lists, you'll see that
there are a number of compatibility issues now being reported as early
adopters are starting to try Tcl/Tk 8.6.  Heck, the Cocoa variant of Tk
8.5 (backported from 8.6) was first released in OS X 10.6 but is only
now in its most recent bug fix releases starting to be reasonably
stable, although problems are still being found.  I'm not aware of any
specific automated GUI testing of the Cocoa Tk variant.  There certainly
is no automated GUI testing of Python's use of any version of Tk.  The
python.org releases for OS X will stick with 8.5 (and 8.4) for the
foreseeable future.  Moving everything to 8.6 at this stage seems
*really* risky, IMO.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org