Portfile Workflow Advice

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 08:17:37 PST 2013

Hello,

On 2013-01-14 09:18, rod wrote:
> I've been finding developing and especially updating Portfiles a bit
> tricky and error prone, so have been writing some tools for myself to
> help with this...
>
> https://github.com/rodnaph/pearl
> https://github.com/rodnaph/ghsum
>
> But while submitting the second via Trac it was pointed out you can do
> this already with Macports...
>
> $> port -d checksum

'port -v checksum' would be enough for a less cluttered output.

However, I have to remind that at least one checksums should be verified
from upstream. I prefer to keep a checksum provided by upstream to make
it easier to detect whether a stealth update happened or a mirror
actually serves the wrong file.

Most projects provide checksums (for example in a file called MD5SUMS or
CHECKSUMS on their mirrors). Take this checksum and add it to the
Portfile; then you can use the above command to generate more checksums.

> So I was wondering what tools everyone else uses to create and update
> their Portfiles?  Are all the utilities provided through the "port" tool
> and I'm just missing them?  Or are there other utilities (like
> https://trac.macports.org/browser/users/ryandesign/scripts/portcheckup) that
> are available to help?

Some basic tasks are described here:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/CommittersTipsAndTricks