International Ticket-closing day

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 15:52:59 PST 2013

On 2013-1-17 10:14 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2013, at 07:43, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 2013-01-15 21:16, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>>
>>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/126
>>
>> Actually, I don't think subports solve all our problem. This requires
>> refactoring ports in a way that allows installation side-by-side, while
>> in some cases it would be desirable to use specific variants with
>> correct dependencies, e.g. +quartz.

Well, subports were never meant to solve all our problems. :-) Actually,
the only goal was to be able to get rid of the existing multiple
near-identical portfiles.

> I'm still kind of in favor of using subports for Quartz vs X11. It'd just be a lot of work.

In the case of gtk2 and dependents, quartz and x11 are mutually
exclusive, so you can't install both at once either way. For ports that
can enable quartz and x11 simultaneously, and have dependents that rely
on one or the other being available, it may be best to just enable both
all the time.

- Josh