[101464] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/ compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Thu Jan 24 05:46:43 PST 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2013, at 08:18, michaelld at macports.org wrote:
> > compiler_blacklist_versions : change fancy ``s to basic "s, as is used everywhere else.
> >
> > Modified Paths:
> > --------------
> >   trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl
>
> Is there a specific reason for this change? I'd actually prefer to switch everything to smart quotes over time. They're prettier.

Yes. They lock my xterm from XQuartz.app, and those were the only fancy
``s in that file; all the rest were normal "s.  Given those facts, and
that I was working with this file a lot for a day, I went ahead and
checked in the change hoping that it would be useful to others.

Pretty much any non-standard character locks up my xterm.  I have not
tried configuring xterm to deal with this, as I'm pretty sure many other
used won't have either.  Hence, without some better way of displaying
non-standard characters, no matter how pretty they are, it seems wisest
to avoid them instead of forcing the user into a specific setting or
terminal.

That said, given that I'm done using the compiler_blacklist_versions
PortGroup (at least for now), it doesn't matter to me if you want to
move all of the basic "s (back) to fancy ``s. - MLD