[101464] trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/ compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jan 24 06:14:47 PST 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 07:46, Michael Dickens wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 2013, at 08:18, michaelld at macports.org wrote:
>>> compiler_blacklist_versions : change fancy ``s to basic "s, as is used everywhere else.
>>>
>>> Modified Paths:
>>> --------------
>>>  trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/group/compiler_blacklist_versions-1.0.tcl
>>
>> Is there a specific reason for this change? I'd actually prefer to switch everything to smart quotes over time. They're prettier.
>
> Yes. They lock my xterm from XQuartz.app, and those were the only fancy
> ``s in that file; all the rest were normal "s.  Given those facts, and
> that I was working with this file a lot for a day, I went ahead and
> checked in the change hoping that it would be useful to others.
>
> Pretty much any non-standard character locks up my xterm.  I have not
> tried configuring xterm to deal with this, as I'm pretty sure many other
> used won't have either.  Hence, without some better way of displaying
> non-standard characters, no matter how pretty they are, it seems wisest
> to avoid them instead of forcing the user into a specific setting or
> terminal.
>
> That said, given that I'm done using the compiler_blacklist_versions
> PortGroup (at least for now), it doesn't matter to me if you want to
> move all of the basic "s (back) to fancy ``s. - MLD

Sorry to hear smart quotes don't work with your xterm; this is the first I've heard of such a problem. I don't know why that would be. They work fine in my OS X Terminal.app on Mountain Lion.

I've been switching to smart quotes in many ports already, and I meant that I was hoping we would switch to smart quotes everywhere, not just in that one file. Portfiles are UTF-8 files; I didn't see any reason not to use any valid UTF-8 character in them.

Obviously I don't want to cause problems for users... Does anybody else have problems with smart quotes, either with them displaying wrong or with them locking up the terminal? Do other non-ASCII characters cause this same problem?