Ports depending on mpich2: move to mpich

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri Jan 25 17:22:50 PST 2013

On Friday, January 25, 2013, Sean Farley wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Eric A. Borisch <eborisch at macports.org<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > The MPICH project has named version 3 of the software as MPICH v3.0
> (rather
> > than continuing on MPICH2 to become MPICH3.) The mpich[-devel] port has
> been
> > moved (r100087) to this up-to-date version.
> >
> > At this time, I'm ready to move all ports that depend on MPICH2 to MPICH
> > (v3), as well as to mark MPICH2 as replaced_by MPICH. (These two steps
> could
> > be done separately -- suggestions on if this should be an atomic change,
> or
> > two changes -- and in which order?)
> >
> > I have attached a patch that does just that, and have copied all portfile
> > owners associated on the ticket https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37785with
> > the diff attached.
> >
> > I plan to apply the patch next week unless there are concerns raised.
>
> Cleaning up the mpi ports is fantastic! Could we also use this time to
> remove lammpi (it has long since died and been replaced by openmpi)?
> The only issue I can remember is that the simultaneous installation of
> openmpi and mpich is broken.
>
> Also, I still would like all mpi ports (mpich and openmpi … are there
> any others still working?) to always have a fortran compiler, would it
> be reasonable to talk about that here?

Simultaneous openmpi and mpich is (if I recall) down to some man page
conflicts. (Openmpi is renaming their bins, but not the associated mans.)

Re:fortran, how would you propose 'mpich +clang' (for example) address
Fortran? I personally use mpich (cc/ccx) extensively without Fortran;
should I be required to install a fortran compiler & wrapper I don't need?
If installed with a +gcc variant (and therefore a fort compiler is present)
mpich enables fortran.

I'm dead set not against it, but I suppose I need some convincing.

Thanks,
  Eric

--
Eric A. Borisch