Ports depending on mpich2: move to mpich

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Fri Jan 25 14:44:27 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Eric A. Borisch <eborisch at macports.org> wrote:
> The MPICH project has named version 3 of the software as MPICH v3.0 (rather
> than continuing on MPICH2 to become MPICH3.) The mpich[-devel] port has been
> moved (r100087) to this up-to-date version.
>
> At this time, I'm ready to move all ports that depend on MPICH2 to MPICH
> (v3), as well as to mark MPICH2 as replaced_by MPICH. (These two steps could
> be done separately -- suggestions on if this should be an atomic change, or
> two changes -- and in which order?)
>
> I have attached a patch that does just that, and have copied all portfile
> owners associated on the ticket https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37785 with
> the diff attached.
>
> I plan to apply the patch next week unless there are concerns raised.

Cleaning up the mpi ports is fantastic! Could we also use this time to
remove lammpi (it has long since died and been replaced by openmpi)?
The only issue I can remember is that the simultaneous installation of
openmpi and mpich is broken.

Also, I still would like all mpi ports (mpich and openmpi … are there
any others still working?) to always have a fortran compiler, would it
be reasonable to talk about that here?