GStreamer Ports - Upgrade to Version 1.x, Add Fallback/Legacy Version 0.10.x

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jan 28 10:19:13 PST 2013

On Jan 27, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Ryan Stonecipher <rmstonecipher at macports.org> wrote:

> Both versions can be installed in parallel and some dependent projects may
> not yet support the new API, so I believe port names should be changed to
> allow such parallel installation.

Agreed.

> Below are revised names in the following format:
> current port -> replacement port (legacy port)

I'd prefer names like:
gstreamer-1.0 and gstreamer-0.10

> Attached is a diff of changes in trunk/dports/gnome required to implement
> this transition as of r102101.
> I believe the use of 'replaced_by' and incrementing the epoch of each old
> port will trigger the necessary changes/upgrades.

> Maintainers of dependents,
> Please test your ports against gstreamer1(,-gst-libav,-gst-plugins-*) and
> let me know which if any are incompatible and should depend upon
> gstreamer01(,-gst-ffmpeg,-gst-plugins-*,-gnonlin,-gst-rtsp) I would
> appreciate it.

When I filed #37545, I noticed that almost every gst-dependent port did not work with 1.0 for one reason or another.  I suggest just updating all the ports to depend on 0.10 and letting maintainers update them as support is rolled in upstream.

webkit-gtk-1.11.x adds support for using either gst-0.10 or gst-1.0.  It is still officially a development version, so I haven't pushed it into dports, but it is in my overlay and has been working well enough (still using gst-0.10 though).

Should we have a policy of 1.0 by default, 0.10 by variant?

git://github.com/jeremyhu/dports_jeremyhu.git

> Jeremy H.S.,
> Some architecture-specific syntax you recently added to gst-ffmpeg is no
> longer present in gst-libav.  For now I stripped those arguments from the
> gstreamer1-gst-libav Portfile.  Please let me know if I should add
> different arguments to restore functionality to match
> gstreamer01-gst-ffmpeg.

Assuming you used the Portfile that I provided in #37545 for gst-libav as the basis for gstreamer1-gst-libav, that's fine.  Those issues were no longer relevant.

> -dev list,
> If you see anything unusual or poorly-implemented in the attached .diff
> please let me know.
>
> I would like to implement these changes in mid-February, so please send
> comments or concerns before the weekend of 2013-02-16/17 if possible.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ryan Stonecipher
> <gstreamer_change.diff>

Would you mind putting the new gst* ports into an overlay on github or as a branch in svn, so we can easily stay up to date with any changes you plan on making?  The changes to other port dependencies can be left out for simplicity.