GStreamer Ports - Upgrade to Version 1.x, Add Fallback/Legacy Version 0.10.x

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 28 10:33:30 PST 2013

On Jan 28, 2013, at 12:19, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> I'd prefer names like:
> gstreamer-1.0 and gstreamer-0.10

> Should we have a policy of 1.0 by default, 0.10 by variant?

The problem with "-X.Y" suffixes (instead of our traditional "XY" suffixes) is that they cannot be used verbatim as variant names ("-" is not a valid character in variant names). We've seen this problem already in regard to the clang-X.Y ports when ports offer variants to use these compilers. But in the case of gstreamer I think it's ok, because I don't see any reason why a port should offer a variant for any version of gstreamer. Shouldn't each port just use the best version it can, and not offer a choice? Why should the user be made to care about the version of a dependency?

> Would you mind putting the new gst* ports into an overlay on github or as a branch in svn, so we can easily stay up to date with any changes you plan on making?  The changes to other port dependencies can be left out for simplicity.

Agreed; I'd like to see these new ports in a ports directory in Ryan Stonecipher's user directory in the MacPorts Subversion repository, until they're ready to move to the main dports tree. I suggest our repository because I think we should be able to be self-sufficient in our infrastructure and not need to involve other systems.