Request for help with port organisation: how to install several versions of data files

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jul 2 11:16:04 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> On Jul 1, 2013, at 5:40 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> How about something like this?
>>
>>> foreach {data.name data.version data.md5} ${geant.data_versions} {
>>>
>>>   subport ${name}-${data.name}-${data.version} {
>>>
>>>       version             ${data.version}
>>>       description         ${data.name} v${data.version} data files for Geant4
>>>       long_description    ${description}
>>>       distfiles           G4${data.name}.${data.version}${extract.suffix}
>>>       checksums           md5 ${data.md5}
>>>       distname            ${data.name}${data.version}
>>>       extract.dir         ${destroot}${prefix}/share/Geant4/Data
>>>       pre-extract {
>>>
>>>           xinstall -m 755 -d ${destroot}${prefix}/share/Geant4/Data
>>>       }
>>
>> It's a little weird to put stuff into ${destroot} during extract. I certainly do not expect "port extract" to create the destroot.
>
> Yes, it is not common though they are simply data files, no configure, make or make install; so I understand why Mojca questions the need to copy large data sets around.
>
> One could set "extract {}", let destroot make directories and code the extraction. I thought making use of port extract was a nicer way.

But then others will argue that users expect from "extract" to check
the checksums and actually extract something. I let the gurus figure
out the best way. I can live with moving files around if that's really
needed or expected.

I have put the files to SVN now under users/mojca (before I loose them
and mix them all up). I still need to sleep over Ryan's idea about
which approach/packaging makes more sense.

Mojca