Macports Tcl

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Jul 9 15:01:17 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:21:41PM +0200, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> It certainly needs an update in the macports base, but i would not
> expect this to be painful. Let me know, if i can help.

At the moment there's not much we can do, before we have a working
bootstrap mechanism for Tcl 8.6 (or rather, > 8.5) in place. While there
is a backport implementation of Tcl 8.6's try proc available in
Tcllib[1] it doesn't work on Tcl 8.4, which means we cannot currently
ship it in MacPorts base, since that would break some old systems stuck
with 8.4.

Of course, if you want to come up with a script that will build Tcl 8.6
somwhere in a private prefix with --enable-threads and the thread
module, be my guest :)

> Keeping macports's private tip89 solution is on the long run probably
> not worth the potential confusion.

I agree. We'd have to throw it out together with the switch to Tcl 8.6.

[1] http://core.tcl.tk/tcllib/dir?name=modules/try

--
Clemens Lang