Macports Tcl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Jul 10 01:41:35 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-10 00:01, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 07:21:41PM +0200, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
>> It certainly needs an update in the macports base, but i would not
>> expect this to be painful. Let me know, if i can help.
>
> At the moment there's not much we can do, before we have a working
> bootstrap mechanism for Tcl 8.6 (or rather, > 8.5) in place. While there
> is a backport implementation of Tcl 8.6's try proc available in
> Tcllib[1] it doesn't work on Tcl 8.4, which means we cannot currently
> ship it in MacPorts base, since that would break some old systems stuck
> with 8.4.

In the same way we currently have a local implementation of try based
upon TIP #89, we could make it compatible with TIP #329/Tcl 8.6 instead.
This could mean just importing the one from Tcllib (haven't checked its
license) and make it work on Tcl 8.4. I don't think there is a need to
wait until we have a bundled Tcl 8.6.

Of course this also requires adaptions of all uses of the try proc in
base, but that is only in a few limited places (around 30 times).

Rainer