Macports Tcl

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Wed Jul 10 23:14:23 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:54:30PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> There seem to be two ideas going on here:
>
>  1. ship a known good version of Tcl with MacPorts so that we avoid
>  bugs in versions of Tcl on specific versions of OS X
>  2. use Tcl 8.6 so that we can simplify some of MacPorts base
>
> To satisfy (1) we can bundle Tcl 8.5 with MacPorts. Later, to satisfy
> (2), we could work on replacing the try/catch usage in MacPorts with a
> Tcl 8.6-compatible version.

Yes, we could work on bundling Tcl 8.5 with MacPorts first. But if we're
going to do the bundling anyway, we might also just go for the latest
and greatest, if it isn't a huge hassle to do so (and I wouldn't say ~30
source code modifications count as a huge hassle).

> I assume we would:
>
>  * ship a binary of MacPorts (like we already do) and a binary of Tcl
>  in the package download
>  * ship the source of MacPorts (like we already do) and the source of
>  Tcl in the source download

Which in turn means we would build Tcl from source during selfupdate,
right?

--
Clemens Lang