[MacPorts] UsingTheRightCompiler modified

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Jul 16 23:19:09 PDT 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:09 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> Provided by system? Isn't it provided by Xcode?
>
> On Mountain Lion, /usr/bin/gcc is not GCC. It is a symlink to llvm-gcc-4.2. It varies by Xcode version. As does /usr/bin/cc, which on Mountain Lion is a symlink to clang.

I basically went by the descriptions from portconfigure.tcl and didn't think too much about it.

https://trac.macports.org/browser/tags/release_2_2_0-rc1/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl#L203

I can make them more specific, but I'd need a little more info, as I only have access to Mountain Lion with the latest Xcode. What do older configurations have for /usr/bin/{,g}cc?

>> +||=gcc-3.3                          =|| GCC 3.3                         || Xcode                            ||
>> +||=gcc-4.0                          =|| Apple GCC 4.0                   || Xcode                            ||
>> +||=gcc-4.2                          =|| Apple GCC 4.2                   || Xcode                            ||
>> +||=llvm-gcc-4.2                     =|| LLVM-GCC 4.2                    || Xcode                            ||
>
> Might be nice to add Xcode version info.

I'll try to work that in.

vq