Proper dependencies for "x11"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 22 02:09:30 PDT 2013

On Jul 22, 2013, at 02:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 2013, at 13:31, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>>>
>>> The gnuplot port must declare a dependency on any port that provides a library it links to.
>>
>> But only if it *REALLY* links to it and isn't just linking to it because glibtool is stupid (I'm so glad for delete_la_files).  You can check if it's a proper link by seeing if it is actually using those symbols (nm -m <binary you want to check> | grep <name of library without version or .dylib>) on an clean install using a recent-ish base (2.2 branch or trunk from the past couple months).
>
> What exactly needs to be installed clean? Do I need to reinstall the
> whole macports (all of the ports)? Just gnuplot? All of its
> dependencies?

After installing MacPorts trunk or 2.2.0 beta or RC, rebuild all ports in the recursive dependency chain in the correct order. Since the correct order is not always easy to determine, I simply uninstalled and rebuilt all ports to be sure.

> What happens if dependencies are built on the buildbot -
> are they "clean" in that respect?

No, they definitely are not. The buildbot runs MacPorts 2.1.x.

> (Since this is not really an issue for anyone yet, maybe I should just
> wait for the official release of 2.2 and make the changes then. But I
> still need to know what I need to reinstall then.)

There's no time like the present. Fix things now! :)