request: bringing wxWidgets "up to date"

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Jul 22 09:16:36 PDT 2013

Hi,

I would be really grateful if wxWidgets situation could be resolved in
not-too-distant future. The version 2.9.5 has been released recently,
version 2.8 doesn't compile on 10.7 (other than with an old Xcode/SDK
version) & 10.8 and most ports still depend on 2.8. Those that work
with 2.9 use weird option names.

Here are some of the tickets:
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/38375 Ports depending on wxWidgets*
should either use path-style dependencies or variants instead
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39807 wxWidgets: allow side-by-side
installation of 2.8 and 2.9
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39806 wxWidgets-devel: update to 2.9.5
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37819 wxWidgets should be removed /
replaced_by wxWidgets30
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39786 wxWidgets @2.9.5 universal build fails
- https://trac.macports.org/ticket/26082 wxWidgets 2.6.4 failed to install

To ask a simple question, so that I could start testing a bit:

1.) How could I create a simple Portgroup that would define a variable
or function
    wxwidgets.config (or confscript/configscript/wxconfig)
whose value would be
    ${prefix}/lib/wx/config/mac-unicode-${installtype}-2.8
in case of 2.8 (installtype is "release" or "debug") and
    ${prefix}/lib/wx/config/osx_cocoa-unicode-2.9
in case or 2.9?

2.) Maybe this is not needed, but what would be the proper way to do
"port select" (or whatever else) whose only functionality would be to
make a symlink from ${wxwidgets.config} to ${prefix}/bin/wx-config?

Mojca