request: bringing wxWidgets "up to date"

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jul 23 05:15:56 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Ryan Schmidt  wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2013, at 11:16, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> 1.) How could I create a simple Portgroup that would define a variable
>> or function
>>    wxwidgets.config (or confscript/configscript/wxconfig)
>> whose value would be
>>    ${prefix}/lib/wx/config/mac-unicode-${installtype}-2.8
>> in case of 2.8 (installtype is "release" or "debug") and
>>    ${prefix}/lib/wx/config/osx_cocoa-unicode-2.9
>> in case or 2.9?
>>
>> 2.) Maybe this is not needed, but what would be the proper way to do
>> "port select" (or whatever else) whose only functionality would be to
>> make a symlink from ${wxwidgets.config} to ${prefix}/bin/wx-config?
>
> Why do you want to "port select" wxWidgets / wx-config? If you want it for purposes not related to MacPorts that's fine.

Yes. I often compile gnuplot outside of MacPorts and in such cases it
is important (= convenient) to have wx-config in PATH.

> Just remember that a portfile may not depend on something done by port select, nor require a user to use port select.

Many ports have support to specify the path to wx-config, so that
shouldn't be an issue. I don't dare to say that every port has that
already, but those which don't need to be fixed anyway.

Also, I don't know where to find "hello world" examples for port
select. It might be useful for Geant4 as well.

Mojca