Geant4 & Gate: a new attempt & request for feedback

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jul 23 10:25:11 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2013, at 10:58, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> I don't know yet how to work with "port select".
>
> You can look at any port using the select portgroup as an example.

Thank you, done, or at least I hope so
(https://trac.macports.org/changeset/108461).

Is this process documented anywhere? Should it be? (It is in fact
relatively simple and a hello-world example could be added somewhere
to the wiki or the guide.)

>> 4.) I need some help on deciding about the variant names in Geant4 and
>> I'm not sure if I got all the X11 dependencies right. Geant4 currently
>> links to /usr/X11/lib/libGL.1.dylib and I'm not sure if that's OK.
>
> Would be better to use the libGL from the mesa port.

OK, I will try to figure out how to convince Geant4 to link against that one.

>> 6.) I'm not sure what should be used as the version of Gate. The
>> latest released version was 6.2. The authors call the trunk version
>> "7.0 beta". My intention is to keep the port up to date (in sync with
>> git) on regular basis, at least until the first major release, so
>> maybe some epoch(?) is needed? Or is it OK to simply keep increasing
>> the revision on regular basis? (The version 6.2 would need too many
>> patches to make it worth the effort.)
>
> You can go with version 7 if that's better. You can either use "version 7.0-beta" and increase the revision when you want to grab a newer upstream, or you can invent specific version numbers, perhaps with the date, like "version 7.0-beta-20130723". Either way, if you ever update the port to "version 7.0", vercmp will consider that older, so you'll have to increase the epoch then to work around that.

Where is the "comparison algorithm" for vercmp documented (if
anywhere)? I will probably face the same problem with Geant4
transiting from 10.0.b01 -> 10.0 -> 10.0.p01 -> 10.0.p02 -> ... Maybe
there's a trick to invent a version that will keep increasing ;)

Mojca