request: bringing wxWidgets "up to date"

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Jul 24 05:29:30 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Titus von Boxberg wrote:
> Mojca, all,
>
> I don't have a solution for this problem.
> Rather, I have a more fundamental question
> (which, however, may have been discussed already):
>
> Are there any interesting ports that are incompatible with 2.9
> and really need to be compiled by macports?

I don't exactly follow / I didn't check.

> Is 2.9 incompatible with any macports target os version?

10.4, so not really important

> Last time I looked (2012) pgAdmin (and Audacity?) were 2.9-incompatible,
> and both provide precompiled binaries.
>
> So, is there any reason to keep wxWidgets pre 2.9?
> If not, the effort to keep the pre-2.9-ports might be better
> put into bringing the incompatible software to 2.9

One of the biggest "problems" is that all ports need to be fixed at
once. If separating 2.8 and 2.9 is at least reasonably doable, other
ports can later be addressed one-by-one. Also, I expect similar
problems during transition to 3.1/3.2, so proper separation could help
in any case.

Anyway, I agree that if too much effort is required, it probably makes
sense to skip the idea and simply go with 2.9 only.

Mojca