request: bringing wxWidgets "up to date"

Titus von Boxberg titus at v9g.de
Wed Jul 24 06:27:35 PDT 2013

-------- Original Message --------

2.9-incompatible,
> > and both provide precompiled binaries.
> >
> > So, is there any reason to keep wxWidgets pre 2.9?
> > If not, the effort to keep the pre-2.9-ports might be better
> > put into bringing the incompatible software to 2.9
>
> One of the biggest "problems" is that all ports need to be fixed at
> once.
Wouldn't that be a simple temporary rename of wxWidgets-devel to wxWidgets
(or adapt wxWidgets portfile to use 2.9), and afterwards
a port install <wx-dependents> ?
If a port fails: has it a binary distribution or is it "uninteresting"?
If yes or yes --> go disable it.
If no and no --> this idea fails with the port ;-)

I'd define a software as "uninteresting" that hasn't been
upstream maintained in quite a period of time (comparable to
presence of wx-2.9) or is apparently just a minor joke.

> If separating 2.8 and 2.9 is at least reasonably doable, other
> ports can later be addressed one-by-one. Also, I expect similar
> problems during transition to 3.1/3.2, so proper separation could help
> in any case.

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but I guess that wx-3.2 release
is in a such distant future that at that time macports might
have been reimplemented in Objective C and Apple has already
deprecated Objective C ;-)
In short: I wouldn't care about 3.2 now.

Regards,
Titus