request: bringing wxWidgets "up to date"

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jul 25 05:34:34 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Titus von Boxberg wrote:
>> From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca at macports.org>
>
>> > So, is there any reason to keep wxWidgets pre 2.9?
>> > If not, the effort to keep the pre-2.9-ports might be better
>> > put into bringing the incompatible software to 2.9
>>
>> One of the biggest "problems" is that all ports need to be fixed at
>> once.
> Wouldn't that be a simple temporary rename of wxWidgets-devel to wxWidgets
> (or adapt wxWidgets portfile to use 2.9), and afterwards
> a port install <wx-dependents> ?

No. All ports that depend on wxWidgets 2.8 have some weird code in
them, for example:

supported_archs    i386 ppc
depends_lib port:wxWidgets

platform darwin 11 {
    macosx_deployment_target 10.6
    if {[vercmp $xcodeversion 4.3] >= 0} {
        configure.sdkroot
${developer_dir}/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk
    } else {
        configure.sdkroot ${developer_dir}/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk
    }
}

So the port needs to be modified no matter what.

>> If separating 2.8 and 2.9 is at least reasonably doable, other
>> ports can later be addressed one-by-one. Also, I expect similar
>> problems during transition to 3.1/3.2, so proper separation could help
>> in any case.
>
> I don't want to be too pessimistic, but I guess that wx-3.2 release
> is in a such distant future that at that time macports might
> have been reimplemented in Objective C and Apple has already
> deprecated Objective C ;-)

I couldn't agree more.

> In short: I wouldn't care about 3.2 now.

But it would still make sense to do the transition properly.

In particular: I would really like to be able to use something like

variant wxWidgets description {...} {
    wxwidgets.use_version 30
    configure.args-append --with-wx=${wxwidgets.config}
}

where ${wxwidgets.config} would expand into
    ${prefix}/lib/wx/config/osx_cocoa-unicode-2.9
based on the selected wxWidgets version.

Mojca