[GSoC13] The evolution of the project

Marius Cotofana marius.coto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 20:46:12 PDT 2013

Hello,

My name is Marius Cotofana, and I am this year's student for Google Summer of Code.

I would like to begin by apologising for not keeping you informed with my progress and I hope
I can make up for it in this email. Here [1] is my proposal, together with the roadmap I have
established for my project and the wiki page where I have written about my
evolution until this point. There is also a link to my development branch [2].

To give you a short description, me and my mentors have decided that the tcltest framework
would be the best to use in MacPorts' situation, so I began by reconsolidating the existing
regression tests. The work went fine, tcltest proved it's strength, so I went on writing unit tests,
starting with the code in port1.0. At this point, portutil, portactivate, portchecksum, portbuild and
portclean are covered by tests and I will continue my development in this area.

The first half of my timeline has nearly run out, so, for the future, I would like to hear your thoughts
on where my project should be heading, what are the most important parts that need to be tested,
and what other things could be done to improve the testing framework. From my plan, I have yet
to build the documentation for the functionality I have added, there could still be added more
regression tests and there are still modules that do not have their own unit tests. But what do you
consider to be the most important things for now ?

I really appreciate your work, and I am proud to be part of this great community.

[1] - https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode2013
[2] - https://trac.macports.org/browser/branches/gsoc13-tests

Thank you,
Marius Cotofana.