Buildbot failures after migrating from Distribute to Setuptools

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jun 11 15:11:20 PDT 2013

On 2013-6-12 06:53 , Blair Zajac wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 01:38 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2013-6-12 04:44 , Blair Zajac wrote:
>>> Looking at https://trac.macports.org/changeset/106911, shouldn't the
>>> ones that use depends_lib, e.g. loggerhead, have their revision bumped?
>>
>> Maintainers should determine whether their modules actually need to be
>> rebuilt. It shouldn't be needed in most cases.
>>

> I don't understand.
>
> This would seem to be a requirement to have the deprecated py*distribute
> be removed for installed ports.  Without each maintainer doing this,
> then I get these (I had py25-protobuf installed for months):
>

> root at poppy-powerbook:/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/sysutils/ansible#
> port -u -v uninstall
> --->  Unable to uninstall py25-distribute @0.6.45_0, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->    py25-protobuf @2.5.0_0
> Error: org.macports.uninstall for port py25-distribute returned: Please
> uninstall the ports that depend on py25-distribute first.
> Warning: targets not executed for py25-distribute: org.macports.uninstall
> Please see the log file for port py25-distribute for details:
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_registry_portfiles_py25-distribute_0.6.45_0/py25-distribute/main.log
>
> Warning: Failed to execute portfile from registry for py25-distribute
> @0.6.45_0
> --->  Unable to uninstall py25-distribute @0.6.45_0, the following ports
> depend on it:
> --->    py25-protobuf @2.5.0_0
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on
> py25-distribute first.

There's that, yes. Having an inactive copy of distribute hang around
(unless you -f the uninstall) until the next update of the dependents
isn't that big a problem though, and I wouldn't say that making everyone
rebuild the ports when none of the installed files have changed is
actually "better".

It would be nice to have a way to say "the files haven't changed, but
refresh the registry as though doing a reinstall".

- Josh