macports vs java

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Fri Jun 14 08:49:15 PDT 2013

   Can someone clarify what the situation is with Java and MacPorts? On fink, we have a number
of packages (like graphviz) which previously have been built against the JavaVM.framework
in /System/Library/Frameworks. We had hoped to transition to the Oracle JDK for this but
they both don't use a framwork build but also stupidly install the JDK in a versioned directory
which will change with each Java 1.7 update. Unfortunately they don't install a generic symlink
that would allow the path for linkages to survive these updates (eg /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.jdk
to point at /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_21.jdk, etc). It is unclear where the JRE
standalone package is installing as they use a sandbox during the installation. Any clarifications
and advice on this transition is welcome.
         Jack