[106996] trunk/base/src/macports1.0/macports.tcl

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sat Jun 15 14:20:43 PDT 2013

On Jun 14, 2013, at 4:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> The style we use in most Portfiles, of always using curly braces even when they're not necessary, is pleasant and helpful, and I wish we'd do that in base as well, instead of going the other direction.

In theory, I agree with the argument for always using braces, since it maximizes consistency and minimizes ambiguity. In practice, I find that braces often introduce undesirable visual noise, especially when the variable substitution is followed by more closing parentheses, braces, and brackets. For example:

    if {[info exists macports::ui_options(${val})]} {

This is fine in Portfiles, where variable substitution is not particularly common, but I feel that it would be cloying in base.

vq