Switching to Perl 5.16

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Jun 19 10:49:47 PDT 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:25 PM, Frank Schima <macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Frank Schima <macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It seems to me that we should be switching the default perl in Macports from version 5.12 to 5.16. Are there any objections to this? If not, I will create a Trac ticket about this.
>>
>> do you mean 5.18, or are we desiring to continue to be behind the current stable perl for some reason? ;-)
>
> If you think that version is stable enough to move forward on. I'm hoping ricci will comment. One problem is that we lack a perl5.18 port. It will require more work to add it too because now all p5-* ports will need to add a p5.18 subport. A ticket for that seems like a no brainer at this point however.

I've said before that we should take upstream's recommendation (like we do with other ports) and use the latest stable (release) version.

Perl.org says: "We recommend that you always run the latest stable version, currently 5.18.0."

we should have a /good/ reason for not following that recommendation.

(Of course, I also think that we go to too much effort to support multiple perl versions...)

--
Daniel J. Luke