Geant4 - any volunteers?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 27 00:06:30 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm not an active user of Geant4 myself, but the version in MacPorts
is very outdated (9.4 patch 2 from June 2011, the currently released
versions are 9.4p4, 9.5p2 and 9.6p2).

I wrote an initial Portfile using cmake
(https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32716), but the Portfile currently
used is very complicated and I'm not sure if I can follow and test all
of its different options, and if I can understand the need for all the
patches.

In addition to what is already there (and what is missing in
comparison to the old Geant4.9.4), I would like to suggest providing
different versions of Geant4 (maybe starting from 9.5), so that other
applications like Gate (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/35992 - I
have it working here, but it needs some polishing) with strong
dependencies on a particular version of Geant4 could work properly,
and so that physicists with simulations written for an old Geant4
could still run them.

I haven't heard anything from the original author of the port and I
would be grateful if someone could help bringing this port up to date.

Thank you,
    Mojca